Lifting for LongevityWhy is it important to lift weights? Apart from building strong muscles, the benefits include burning body fat, strengthening joints and bones, reducing the risk of injury and improving heart health. To lift safely, it is very important to start slowly, take rest days and make sure that you are lifting with good posture (form).
- Increased Muscle mass: Our muscle mass decreases drastically as we age and strength training can help to reverse this natural tendency.
- Strong Bones: Strength training increases bone density and helps prevent fractures
- Joint Flexibility: Lifting weights keeps our joints supple and can help prevent the onset of arthritis
- Weight Control: As we build more muscle, our bodies burn calories a lot easier enabling us to maintain or lose weight.
- Improves Balance: Strengthening exercises increase flexibility and balance, preventing falls and reducing injuries as we age.