"Without dreams and goals there is no living, only merely existing and that is NOT why we are here." Mark Twain
"This one step - choosing a goal and sticking to it - changes everything." Scott Reed
- Write down what you want - goals are all about the positive, not negative. If we take a goal from the above mentioned list - "I want to lose weight for my health or to feel better about myself". This goal will set you up from the start in a positive mindset. "I want to lose weight because I don't want to look like this anymore - I feel awful" - already this is negativity about yourself and will not help your motivation whenever you look at this statement.
- Make your goal challenging, but not out of reach - your goal should be inspiring but not impossible. An easy goal is seldom motivational, neither is an unworkable goal. "I want to lose 1/4lb this week" compared to "I want to lose 10lb this week". One goal may not be challenging enough and the other way too challenging.
- Choose a goal that is attainable by you - its is always best to set a goal that does not involve the influence of others. This goal is yours and relies on your input and performance. "I will lose 2lb this week - only if I can walk with my friend 3 times during the week". It is a great idea to have a "buddy" to help and support you through your journey but they must not control or effect your goal setting.
- Measuring your progress - achieving goals should be measurable and have a time limit. "I want to lose weight" is neither measurable or quantifiable. "I want to lose 1 stone in 3 months" is achievable and has a deadline.
"A Goal without a Plan is just a Wish." Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- S = Specific
- M = Measurable
- A = Achievable
- R = Relevant
- T = Time bound
- Specific - 3 stone is specific whereas "lose weight" is unclear.
- Measurable - Your weight on day one to the end result (3 stone lighter) - is perceivable
- Achievable - Weight loss can vary greatly from 1/2 lb to 2lb a week. Weight loss earlier on in your journey maybe more, than your final loss of a few pounds - so 3 stone in a year is attainable
- Relevant - the focus is solely on the weight loss of 3 stone and consistent with reachable guidelines
- Time bound - by giving yourself a deadline you will hold yourself accountable